The tools corner is located in the upper right-hand corner of every page of the website. The tools corner contains special features such as:
- Twitter: Follow us on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/OSMRE.
- Print: We provide a way for you to print a page that does not display graphics from the website. This feature is best seen when using Internet Explorer 7.
- RSS: RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It is an XML-based method for distributing the latest news and information from a website that can be easily read by a variety of news readers or aggregators. RSS is an easy way for you to be alerted when content that interests you appears on your favorite websites. Instead of visiting a website to browse for new articles and features, RSS automatically notifies you when something new is posted online all through your downloaded news reader.
- PDF Help: Help with using portable document format files
Just below the Tools Corner, you will see the horizontal header links.
TOP HORIZONTAL NAVIGATION: In the header of the website below the tools corner, you will see the top horizontal navigation. Inside the header you wil find the following:
- OSM Home: This is a direct link back to the home page of our website no matter where you are within the site.
- About Us: Learn about who we are and what we do.
- Index: This is an A-Z Index of topics.
- Site Map: Additional ways to find information by catetory.
- Contact Us: This is where you can contact us. See various ways to get in touch with us.
- Help: You are currently on the Help page. This page will help you with using this website.
As your eyes move down the page, you will see the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement's branding with the logo, a reclamation photo of dandelions, along with the Bureau's name.
PROGRAM AREAS: Select one of the three business lines: Regulating Coal Mines, Reclaiming Abandoned Mine Lands, and Applying Sound Science
- Regulating Coal Mines: The Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act balances the need to protect the environment from the adverse effects of surface coal mining with the Nation’s need for coal as an essential energy source. It ensures that coal mining operations are conducted in an environmentally responsible manner and that the land is adequately reclaimed during and following the mining process. Most coal-mining States now have the primary responsibility to regulate surface coal mining on lands within their jurisdiction, with OSM performing an oversight role. OSM also partners with States and Indian Tribes to regulate mining on Federal lands and to support States’ regulatory programs with grants and technical assistance.
- Reclaiming Abandoned Mine Lands: In general, abandoned mine lands are lands and waters adversely impacted by inadequately reclaimed surface coal mining operations on lands that were not subject to the reclamation requirements of the Surface Mining Law. Environmental problems associated with abandoned mine lands include surface and ground water pollution, entrances to open mines, water-filled pits, unreclaimed or inadequately reclaimed refuse piles and minesites (including some with dangerous highwalls), sediment-clogged streams, damage from landslides, and fumes and surface instability resulting from mine fires and burning coal refuse. Environmental restoration activities under the abandoned mine reclamation program correct or mitigate these problems.
- Applying Science and Technology: One of the ways that the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement balances coal production with environmental protection is by providing resources for technical assistance, training, and technology development. These activities support and enhance the technical skills that States and Tribes need to operate their regulatory and reclamation programs in order to effectively implement the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act.
The spotlight section located on the home page will highlight major bureau-wide projects, initiatives or announcements.
The spotlight messages in the spotlight section are designed to automatically allow you to see the spotlight messages move from one announcement to the next using Adobe Flash or you have an option to select each spotlight message manually.
See details below:
- You can select through the spotlight messages manually. If you choose not to use the Adobe Flash, you can see the spotlight messages by selecting ‘Spotlight’, which will take you to the text version.
- Or, you can allow the Adobe Flash software to automatically take you through the spotlight messages. Once you have landed on a particular spotlight, select the 'Read More' option to read the entire spotlight message.
To the right of the Spotlight section, you will find three columns: Resources, Find It Fast, and Offices
RESOURCES: Inside the 'Resources' section you will find the following:
- Newsroom: The newsroom contains News Releases, OSM News and Stories, What's New On Our Website, and more
- References: The references section contains Reports and Statistics, Law, Regulations, and Guidance, Publications, and more
- Tools: Helpful tools such as forms, applications, maps/inventories, libraries, and more
- Events: Calendar of Events and Activities
FIND IT FAST: We are looking for every opportunity to help you find information quickly and easily. Inside the 'Find It Fast' section you will find the Search feature, A-Z Index, Frequently Asked Questions, and Quick Links.
- Search: This search feature will search this site as well as other OSM websites
- A-Z Index: Find information by topics
- Frequently Asked Questions: As we collect, analyze, and compile your frequently asked questions, we will add them along with the answer to this site.
- Quick Links
OFFICES: Quick access to the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement's organization.
- Headquarters: Organizational listing and to the organizational chart
- Appalachian Region: Takes you directly to the Appalachian Region's website
- Mid-Continent Region:
- Western Region:
Featured News and Stories: OSM news and stories are displayed on the front page of the website and in the newsroom.
What's New On Our Website: Information that is new to our website and information that has been significantly updated will be added to the front page of our website.
FOOTER: The bottom links are conveniently locaed on every page of the website. Inside the 'Footer'' section of the website you will find the following:
- Accessibility: OSM is committed to making every possible effort to ensure that all information is accessible to people with disabilities, including employees and customers we serve.
- Disclaimer: Information presented on this website is considered public information and may be distributed or copied without permission. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credit is requested.
- FOIA: The Freedom of Information Act assures that records in the possession of federal agencies are accessible to the public. Our responsibility is to provide you with copies of records you are entitled to receive under the law.
- Privacy: This is how the Office of Surface Mining will handle information we learn about you when visiting our website.
- Notices: Easy access to our Bureau's website policies, Federal notices, and information required by laws and regulations to be on Federal agency websites. Includes information for Accessibility, Copyrights, Disclaimer, Doing Business With Us, Employment, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Linking Policy, Significant Guidance Documents, and Web Icons used on our website
- Department of the Interior: The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement is one of eight Bureaus that fall under the Department of the Interior
- USA.gov: The U.S. Government's offical web portal